Sunday 17 February 2008

Mid-February Food Fest

Darn that groundhog! Punxsutawney Phil predicted six more weeks of winter and apparently that applies to England too, 'cause although the sun is shining, it is COLD around here these days. This is seriously discouraging me from leaving the house and seriously encouraging me to cook and bake like crazy. In fact, the only time I really want to leave the house is to get ingredients for my next food item. Fortunately, there is a grocery store across the street from our flat that seems that have everything I could possibly want. I have honestly never not been able to find something there, except a full-size canister of Cheese and Onion Pringles. For some reason, they only have the fun size. And they don't have fresh meat - but they do carry free-range eggs and three different types of olive by weight. Anyway, I'm cooking because a) it cheers me up to make nice things for Matthew (and me) to eat, and b) the oven makes the kitchen all toasty and warm!

Lately I've made:
banana bread
spinach lasagna
brownies
burritos in a bowl (a name I made up for rice, black beans, taco-spiced chicken, guacamole, salsa and cheese - essentially nachos over rice instead of tortilla chips)
a couple of full English breakfasts (sausages, scrambled eggs, toast, grilled tomatoes)
jambalaya
more brownies

We've had jambalaya several times in the last couple of weeks because I still have celery left over from the first batch and we don't eat it in or with anything else. I tried to get Matthew to eat it with hummus or peanut butter, but he wouldn't go for it. Even though we still have plenty left, I think we're reaching the end of the current jambalaya cycle. Matthew has requested more Mexican food, so that will probably be the next thing we get into. For some reason, nachos seem like warm weather food to me, so we'll probably have quesadillas and more of my "burritos in a bowl". Then I'm sure it will be back to curry and possibly soups or stews. I'm also debating whether to make a chocolate pound cake or another "birthday" style cake this week. I've decided we're just going to have to keep chocolate in the house constantly until it warms up. I just hope spring gets here before I weigh 300 pounds...

No comments: