Wednesday 20 February 2008

Could it please be springtime now?

I know a fair number of my posts contain some sort of complaint about the weather, but I gotta say it is seriously getting me down! We have had a lot of fair, sunny days lately, so it could definitely be worse. There are beautiful daffodils in the back garden, which I can see from the kitchen window and thus enjoy without having to go outside. And we've cranked the heat up so that our flat is generally warm as an oven. But I still pretty much feel like hibernating for about 6 weeks. Short of actually sleeping until spring, I've coped by drinking lots of tea (I switch to decaf in the evening or my kidneys would fall out), curling up on the sofa under my beloved brown blanket (with Matthew whenever possible), eating something hot and/or spicy and watching TV. Lots of TV.

(An aside: We're having an ongoing debate at the moment about DVDs that Matthew got for his birthday, The Office: An American Workplace, and The Flight of the Conchords. They are both really funny sitcoms and we whizzed through the first DVD of each very quickly. Neither of us wants them to be over, but he is putting off watching any more as long as possible, while I think we could watch maybe 2 episodes a night and still draw out the fun. So far, he counters my suggestion whenever it comes up by distracting me with other shows, usually Skins (trashy teenage soap to which I am strangely, guiltily and utterly age-inappropriately attracted) or Scrubs.)

Anyway, I can't seem to get much done these days, apart from the aforementioned tea-drinking and sofa-sitting, but if I did have any energy or get-up-and-go, I wish I were doing things like this:

- cute dolls, stuffed things and embroidery like Wee Wonderfuls.

- pretty much everything Angry Chicken does. I hope I'm as cool as her when I grow up.

- making a really cool, intensely detailed dollhouse. Possibly not for children, just for me.

- doing vintage pattern embroidery on everything I own. I've never done much embroidery but I love love love the way it looks. Instead, I usually try to coerce my sister (who has given me beautiful cross-stitched presents in the past) into making something for me. See how I just tried to flatter her into doing more right there? I don't know why I think she will have time (with a full time job and a baby) when I don't (with no job and two very self-sufficient cats), but maybe she'll make the time.

- all the other projects of my own that I've been putting off (re-doing the chair, painting the shelves that Matthew is (slowly) hanging in the bedroom, finishing a "test" dress I started with a new pattern, making the summer dress I planned for last summer, reading all the books I got for Christmas, etc, etc)!

I am SO looking forward to spring - I imagine I will have boundless energy and will do EVERYTHING on my list and more.

It could happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah, flattery will get you ... well, probably somewhere. :)

I want you to make some precious things for your one-and-only niece!

In return, I shall create a few little somethings for you.

Have patience, dear sister.

And I've got a draft re: my thoughts on decorating the house, especially Mattie's room. I'll send it when I catch a breath.

-Sissy

Laura said...

Oh, Matthew just got very excited that you have ideas for decorating his room...then he remembered that he's not the only Mattie in the family anymore.

I have at least one cute thing in the works for my precious niece, but who knows if it will match the plan you've got for her room?!? Actually, it's quite neutral, so I think you can make it work. Now I've just got to do it...