Thursday 11 June 2009

Toys

I found out the other day that my young friend Bo (you may have seen her wearing a tiger dress and a leafy fairy dress) is a big fan of Winnie the Pooh. So big a fan, in fact, that according to her mother, she has been absolutely weepy on learning that "there are no more Pooh books" beyond the ones they have already read. I know that heartache - I was pretty upset myself when I realised the severely limited size of JD Salinger's ouvre.

Anyway, the discussion of Pooh made me think of Eeyore. Not just the depressive donkey in the books, but my very first toy, bought for me by my dad before I was even born. All things considered, I think he's holding up pretty well. He still has his tail (unlike the original) and while he only has half a smile left, I don't think the Eeyore in the book ever really smiles at all.


While I'm getting nostalgic about toys, I thought I'd also photograph Munka. As far as I know, he doesn't appear in any classics of children's literature, but I think he'd very nice. He's been in the wars and has the scars to prove it; as I was posing him in the chair, I found another seam that could use some mending. He's also incredibly lumpy. But a very nice monkey, I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's a very nice monkey, indeed! And, he has had an international flight without benefit of a passport or proper seating! Eeyore may have only half a smile, but I understand he can still squeak:) We all should note the lesson.

Tasca S. said...

I finally got to a computer that has my bookmarks on it, which means I can actually read my friends' blogs again -- hooray! And there's new material from you -- double hooray! So fun to read your commentary on things and to see pics of your garden. I am cheering on your spinach and tomatoes!

Bo's grandmother has rushed to the rescue, vowing to buy "When We Were Very Young" and "Now We Are Six." I have never read them, and they aren't technically Pooh books, but I think Bo might be interested and impressed. Fingers crossed...I don't know how much longer I can take hearing her literally burst into tears in another room, go rushing in, and find out it's because there are No. More. Pooh. Storie!!!!11!!!eleventy!

Mollie said...

I can actually feel Eeyore right now. I can FEEL him!

I'm glad he and Monka are back with whom they belong. They are loved throughout two generations, at least.

Laura said...

I know it's selfish, but I am glad Munka's here with me now. No offense to any current children, but I was a bit worried that he might not survive another childhood's worth of loving. He's not quite as robust a monkey as he once was.