Tuesday 12 May 2009

Spring Cleaning

We did most of our heavy-duty spring cleaning in March, in advance of my parents coming to visit. We are having some more houseguests (the DJs for Matthew's brother's wedding) next weekend, so that's a good excuse to do a few more things. Today Matthew painted our new conservatory door* and while, he had a brush in hand, also threw a lick of paint on the kitchen window sill. It is blindingly white and so pretty now!

I spent the day reading in preparation for starting a draft of my dissertation. I would much rather be painting, but had to confine my creative urges to making us an afternoon snack (toasted cheese and tomato sandwiches toasted on the George Foreman grill - yummy and easy to clean!) and changing my desktop wallpaper. I can't afford real Cath Kidston wallpaper, but these make a pretty good substitute...

*The conservatory door had to be replaced after we had an attempted break-in last November. The would-be burglars splintered the door frame but didn't get in. Then they climbed on top of the glass conservatory and kicked in the window to the flat upstairs, which has been empty for over a year, so they went away empty handed. That only made us feel mildly better, though, as it took three months for our insurance to sort out our door being replaced, during which time we got very, very cold!

2 comments:

Mollie said...

I just discovered Kath Cidston from another blog and I love it! I want to buy everything on the site. The baby clothes almost made me weep.

And "Yay!" for handy husbands!

And "Yay!" for starting your dissertation!

Laura said...

Re Cath Kidston - I know! It's all too cute, right? I recommend her book "Vintage Style". I've had it for 8 or 9 years now and it's still one of my favourites.

As for the dissertation, I didn't make much headway today, but I did make a lovely stew, so that has to count for something...