Sunday 12 April 2009

Happy Easter

We've had a busy spring thus far, with lectures (but, alas, not assignments) ending in March and my parents visiting for 10 very busy days at the beginning of the month. After all that excitement, our Easter weekend has been very low-key. We celebrated by having hot cross buns this morning. They weren't one a penny (or even two a penny), but at 99p for four and half off the 2nd pack, they were still a pretty good deal.

That's a picture of our last one. Matthew is currently chowing down on it, toasted with butter (the bun, not Matthew).

Just because I wasn't writing doesn't mean I was doing stuff, so I plan to sprinkle catch-up photos throughout my upcoming posts. Today I've got a photo of our little Christmas tree. We spent Christmas at Matthew's brother's house this year. He and his partner live in London, only about a 25 minute bus ride away, but we made a 4 day mini-break of it. They are very good cooks and we ate and ate and ate. At one point on Boxing Day, I thought I was going to be physically ill from eating too much goose and cheese. I pulled through, though, and we had a wonderful time.

Since we were "going away" for Christmas, I didn't do much by way of decorating at home. I wasn't planning to have a tree at all, but eventually I just couldn't take it anymore and I got a little artificial tree at Argos for £7.49. It came with ornaments and lights and was insanely cheap, which I like, but the most intriguing thing is the weirdly 1980s theme: the tree is black and the ornaments are all day-glo neon colours. I don't understand it, but I really like it.

Of course, I match my gift-wrapping to the tree, even though we were taking them all to another house for exchanging. I found some very good paper - matte black at Habitat, dark purple with silver stars at Heals, and sequinned disco balls at John Lewis - and finally found a use for a silver jiffy envelope I've been saving for a couple of years. I was very pleased with the results.

The black tree was a lot of fun and got me thinking about some possible Christmas themes. I'm keeping my eyes open and if I can "source" the materials, it's looking like we might have a punk rock Christmas this year!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura... I love you and your Christmas themes! When did you hang those sheers in your conservatory? I made 'Easter Basket' cupcakes this year and thought of you... potentially because I used your chocolate cake recipe, but also because it was crafty and seemed like a 'Laura moment' - if we still lived on the same continent you would have had one... they were very delicious! xB

Laura said...

Those curtains are the unbleached muslin ones we've had for...a while? I just got around to hemming them before my 'rents came last week and now they're a teensy bit too short!
School really cramped my style this year - I only baked like 2 batches of cookies at Christmas! So I'm very jealous of your Easter basket cupcakes (and I'm filing the idea away for possible use next year...)