Tuesday 5 August 2008

Attitude Adjustment

Two Fridays ago, Matthew worked a day shift, which means that he left around 6:30 and I got up at my regular time of 7:00. I sort of woke up while he was getting ready for work - I do that a lot now that he’s gone deaf in one ear and our new routine is that his alarm wakes me up and I shake/nudge/poke him until he turns it off – and he came to say goodbye on his way out. In a bit, I got up, went about my daily ablutions and went to work.

We had plans to meet after work for dinner and a movie that night, but during the morning, I remembered Matthew saying specifically that he would be using his work e-mail that day. I just couldn’t remember why I was supposed to e-mail him. I thought I could just e-mail and ask, but then I realized that I didn’t have his work e-mail address saved anywhere in my work e-mail. So when I had a minute, I browsed through all the e-mails from Matthew that I’ve saved in my Hotmail account to see if he’d ever sent me one from work. Now, Matthew and I met five years ago and since at that time he lived in London and I lived in Lawrence, Kansas, we spent the first 16 months of our relationship communicating primarily via e-mail. Often, we wrote several times a day, so we're talking about a lot of e-mail. Being a sentimental person, I seem to have saved almost every single one of those messages. I did lose a bunch of the very oldest ones in a Yahoo-related mishap, but there are still plenty. Some might say, more than enough.

I spent most of the afternoon reading dozens of old messages, which I found extremely entertaining. We were obviously trying to impress each other, but who wouldn’t have been impressed with a couple as witty, romantic, quirky, sweet and really, genuinely funny as we were. Matthew’s messages were great, of course, but I was especially struck with the picture of myself that emerged – funny, confident and sassy. This, even though I clearly remember actively pining for Matthew during my last few months in Lawrence. Of course he’d fall in love with that girl, I thought. She’s awesome!

Then I compared that girl to the way I’ve been for the past little while – instead of funny, confident and sassy, I’ve been feeling snarky, insecure and irritable. Still funny, of course, but in a cranky sort of way. I could imagine someone who’d fallen in love with the e-mail girl might feel slightly annoyed at the current state of things. And, to be honest, it was a lot more fun to be that girl than to mope around and be grumpy most of the time.

So I decided to do something about it. The next day I got a haircut and it’s been blue skies ever since! It hasn’t really, but I’ve actually maintained a positive attitude fairly consistently for almost two entire weeks. I feel like I’m remembering how to be myself. I’m having more fun with my clothes, thinking in terms of “outfits” and concepts and getting excited about dressing up for a birthday party or a leaving do or…a Tuesday. I made curtains for our kitchen window from a sweet little vintage print that my mom gave me. There’s enough left over that I might make an apron - or a skirt – or maybe a kerchief (as skirts can be tough to get just right). In addition, I have planned out several sewing projects that I think I might actually get around to doing. My plants are doing great and I’m starting to think about food crops for next year. I’ve become a weekday vegetarian (trying to only eat meat on weekends – but then it’s sausage, bacon and hot dogs for two days straight!). I’ve started using the phrase “funny, confident, sassy” as a sort of mantra which I repeat to myself when I’m feeling tired or deflated or lumpy; I think it actually improves my posture. I am considering getting my eyes lasered – but I’m also considering getting big, old-fashioned cat-eye glasses. Honestly, this is so much more fun that wearing very baggy grey clothes and complaining about English people all the time!

Oh, and I eventually just called Matthew at work to see why I was supposed to e-mail him. Apparently, I had asked him if he would be available on e-mail during the day and he said yes, on his work address. I was too asleep to remember asking (or why I did) later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know that "funny, confident, sassy" girl -- she grew up in my house.

I know you haven't always been "funny, confident, sassy" and at times have been that other girl [life can be SO rude, that way] but you will ALWAYS be MY LaLa!