Thursday 8 May 2008

Hot Town, Summer in the City

As anyone who knows me can attest, I do like to complain, and the weather in England is one of my favourite subjects. It's probably my 2nd favourite, right behind the behaviour of other people (particularly on public transport). But as much as I gripe about how grey and cold and rainy it can be during the winter (and, to honest, the spring, autumn and sometimes summer, too), even I have to admit that when it gets going, the English summer is glorious. I think I am beginning to understand what Matthew means when he describes a day as “lovely and hot.” Growing up in Texas, I am more used to days being “oppressive and hot” or “blistering and hot” or even “deadly and hot.” I’ve been working in an office near a little urban park and have spent the last couple of lunch breaks quite happily sitting in the sun, watching the pigeons, eating a sandwich and listening to comedy podcasts. It’s so nice to be outside after months of seeking shelter.


My only real gripe – there has to be one! – is that while the weather outside is quite mild by Texas standards, most buildings are not air-conditioned and those that are, are in a rather ineffective, English sort of way. So it’s nice outside but when you go in, it’s clammy and close and sort of sticky. That’s one thing at home, where you can eat ice cream and lie on the floor with the windows open, but it is murder at work, when you are expected to sit at a desk and behave in a professional manner while sweating through your bra! Also, I get sweaty hands, which is disgusting when typing! Using a mouse is even worse! And photocopying – yuck! I’ve been drinking lots of water to stay cool; yesterday I went to the restroom so many times that someone asked me if I was okay. I just muttered something about hydration...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saturday is expected to have a high of 95 degrees here in West Texas and it's graduation day at the 3 local universities. Icck. But it could be worse. 95 degrees in EAST Texas is indisputably worse.

Laura said...

All I can say about 95 degrees in East Texas is...actually, I can't say anything because the East Texas part of my brain melted just thinking about it!

Anonymous said...

swelter, itch, sweat, sludge, mugginess, sticky, oily...some of the words that come to my mind:)