Tuesday 18 March 2008

Texas Independence Day

March 2nd was Texas Independence Day, a holiday that most people outside Texas are convinced I made up as an excuse to throw a party. I get the same reaction with Dia de los Muertos, no matter how many links to Kathy Cano Murillo’s website I send. But I can’t help it if people don’t want to have parties. I try to celebrate Texas Independence Day in some way every year. Two years ago I had a big party with homemade chili (beef and vegetarian), barbecued chicken, sausage, brisket and veggie burgers, and chips with salsa, guacamole and queso (made with Velveeta, of course). Last year, we gorged on nachos. This year, Matthew worked a night shift on the day, so I didn’t plan anything. At the last minute I got a tiny little roast and cooked it with Rudy’s BBQ Rub, then put it and some sausages in the oven on low heat to simmer with barbecue sauce. I made myself a little combination sandwich (my favorite barbecue menu item) and cut some pickle spears. It looked pretty good, if I do say so myself.


Unfortunately, it just wasn't quite right. The beef was okay, but it wasn't slow-cooked brisket that falls apart under a fork - it was roast beef with sauce on it. The sausage was all right, but it wasn't tangy enough. The pickles were a little too sweet; they're quite good on their own but really nothing like Del-Dixi's.

Overall, it was a bit of a drag, like a Charlie Brown Independence Day. Next year, I'm definitely going to have to throw a big party again. It's what Sam Houston would have wanted...

1 comment:

Hannah Dog a Bone said...

Do they even have brisket in London, and, if so, how is it pronounced?